Acne doesn’t just affects teenagers. Many adults suffer the disfiguring effects of acne in their 20s, 30s, and beyond.
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne can result in a number or non-inflammatory and inflammatory lesions such as whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and cysts. Acne is most common during adolescence, and may occur in adults as well. Acne most commonly appears on the face, neck, chest, back and shoulders, which are the areas of the skin with the largest number of functional oil glands.
Three factors contribute to the formation of acne, including:
- Overproduction of oil
- Irregular shedding of dead skin cells
- Build-up of bacteria
Three factors may worsen the progression of acne:
- Hormonal changes (including puberty, pre-menstruation, pregnancy and menopause)
- Certain medications (including prescriptions containing corticosteroids, androgens or lithium)
- Diet (including those high in dairy products and carbohydrate-rich foods)
Other acne risk factors may include:
- Direct skin contact with greasy substances applied directly to skin (i.e., cosmetics)
- A family history of acne
- Friction or pressure caused by various items (i.e.: cell phones, helmets, collars or backpacks)
About BLU-U Acne Treatment
Blue Light or BLU-U therapy is a treatment that emits a safe, high intensity, narrow spectrum blue-violet light to effectively treat acne without adversely affecting surrounding skin.
How BLU-U Acne Treatment Works
BLU-U is a non-laser, clear blue light treatment that targets bacteria in the oil glands, eliminating a significant factor in the process of acne production. As one of the very latest technological advancements to treat light to moderate recurrent acne in adolescents and adults, this procedure is non-invasive, safe, and requires no downtime.
The blue light penetrates deep enough into the tissue to reach areas of acne, without affecting surrounding skin. It triggers porphyrins, which attacks and destroys acne bacteria.
This approach is frequently used in treating more severe cases of acne. By addressing the root causes, a reduction of acne is more likely to be achieved.
Alternative Acne Treatments
Some alternative treatments are available at Sante Medical to treat acne.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels combat oily prone skins by dissolving the bacteria that cause acne. Salicylic acid peels can promote cutaneous shedding as well as dissolving blackheads and whiteheads
- ICON IPL: Intense pulse light treatments can target the bacteria that cause acne
- Skin Care Products: Some cosmeceutical-grade skin care products, which are specially formulated to control acne, are available at Sante Medical
- Acne Facials: Acne facials and acne back facials are available at our affiliated spa properties, including The Spa Ritual.
- Topical and Oral Antibiotics: Depending on the scope or severity of your acne, our physicians may decide to give you a prescription for a topical antibiotic, an oral antibiotic or both
- Accutane: Accutane is used to treat severe recalcitrant nodular acne that doesn’t respond to other treatments
BLU-U Acne Treatment Procedure
BLU-U treatments are simple. You sit with your face close to a light for approximately 20 minutes. The procedure is non-invasive and pain-free.
After the Procedure
Once the BLU-U treatment is complete, patients can return to their regular daily routine.
Treatments for Acne Scaring
Acne scars can be just as devastating and hard to conceal as acne breakouts. Sante Medical has some treatments that can help with acne scars.